To foster means to nurture, or to help someone grow. Foster care is a safe place to be if a child cannot live with his/her family or on their own. Children enter foster care because of neglect, abuse, or family crisis. Foster parents can help children heal and grow by providing them with a safe, stable. loving home.
Children usually continue to visit their parents until family reunification is ordered by the court. While the child is out of the home or placed in foster care, Social Services is working to provide services so that the child can return to his/her parents.
If this is not possible, family members and other persons important to the child are contacted to see if they can give a permanent home to the child. Sometimes foster families are asked to provide permanent foster care or to adopt the child in their care.
Harmony Homes Foster Family Agency program delivers and incorporates a family planning process called the Child and Family Team. The child and family team identifies individual and family needs and strengths to create a custom fit family plan.
The Child and Family Team is family-centered, needs-driven, strength-based, and flexible. The Child and Family Team supports foster children and families through culturally relevant, individualized, community-based plans. The family plan is designed to ensure safety in the community and achievement of the child and family’s vision and goals for their future.
Benefits of Being a Foster Family
- It feels good to know you have changed a child’s life
- Foster children can bring you joy and happiness
- Accomplishment and Pride
- Knowing you have provided a safe, nurturing, home for children and youth
- Helping families get back together or reunify
- Improving children’s skills and behaviors improves society
- Keeping children safe & making communities better environments
- Helping people become better parents
- Monthly Non-taxable Reimbursement
- Medical and Dental Care for foster children
- Adoption Tax Credit in California
To help a child, Click Here to start.